These findings don’t surprise me at all:
– When given three choices to describe how close they feel to their favorite sports team (1- not close, 2-close, but can survive without them, 3- very close), 75% of respondents claimed they had a very close emotional relationship.
– 92% of respondents claimed they are stressed/nervous when watching their favorite sports team play a critical game.
– 75% of respondents claimed they become angry/irritable after their favorite sports team loses a critical game. 63% claim they have been depressed or have cried after their favorite team lost a critical game.
– 21% of respondents claimed they have gotten into a verbal altercation with someone who taunted them after their favorite team lost a critical game.
– 93% of respondents claimed they feel a friendly connection with other fans of their favorite team. Only 21% of respondents claim they are more likely to befriend a person knowing he is found of a team they root for.
I personally think Browns fans suffer from a genetic defect, and have been known to cross the street to avoid someone wearing Browns gear, so as to make sure I am not tempted to say something rude.