I am cursed- when I see headlines like this on Drudge, I can’t resist:
Woman sues Denny’s over toilet burns
Why? Because, for the life of me, I could not figure out how one gets burned on a toilet. Was it a gas buildup in the plumbing, and the victim lit a cigarette?
Was the plumbing hooked up wrong, and it was steaming hot water piped in, rather than cold water (the hot water in a building I once worked in could scald you)?
How do you get burned on a toilet? This is how:
A Kansas woman has filed a lawsuit seeking damages for severe burns on her rear end caused by chemicals used to clean a toilet at a Denny’s Restaurant.
The toilet chemical manufacturers and their users in the marketplace need common-sense immunity from these frivolous lawsuits…
We need “Toilet Tort Reform!”
I think we need blog reform. We don’t have enough information here to make any sort of determination.
Common household and commercial chemicals can be extremely dangerous.
Any well-informed high school kid should know that. Thirty seconds with google can find you dozens of pages of information like this:
Home Chemical Hazards
Just what exactly is the “message” in this thread? Har har har, some lady burned her ass?
I guess it must be National Trailer Park Humor Day.
ppGaz, who pissed in your Cheerios?
I’m not sure what John’s message is… it seems like he got ready to mock the lawsuit, then found out what happened. I could be wrong. Maybe he just thinks it’s funny.
I actually DON’T think it’s funny a woman got burned, NOR do I think it’s a frivolous lawsuit (at first glance). My comment was just lampooning the Republican position on tort reform.
Whats the point of being alive if you can’t randomly make fun of people. I still laugh at the McDonalds lady even though I know her case had merit. Its just funny to think about.
Yes, nothing funnier than an old lady in a hospital getting skin grafts for third degree burns on her crotch.
That sounds like a sensible suit to me; it’s totally inappropriate to leave solvents of that strength sitting on surfaces where human skin can expect to come into contact with them.
Wow, I found the other person in America who believes the McDonald’s lady had a case. Hi, jg!
Steve, I’d wager everyone in this thread agrees.
I’ve burned my ass at Denny’s, but it was from the other end. Talk about a Grand Slam.
As for the “McDonalds lady”, she had more than a case. And her original award — which was never paid — was based on a simply calculation; I’m pretty sure that it was figured at about two days’ worth of McDonalds’ worldwide coffee sales revenue.
Your home coffeemaker turns out coffee at about 140-150 degrees Farenheit. My Senseo puts out one cup of coffee that is right at the upper limit of drinkability, at 160 degrees. McDonalds was serving coffee at around 185-190 degrees …. a temperature which its own internal communications showed would cause immediate third degree burns; they’d already had dozens of claims for customers burned by it. But even with all this, their goose wasn’t cooked. It was cooked when they said that, in the face of this information, they had decided to do nothing and leave the coffee temperature where it was.
Last but not least, the “old lady” originally only asked for a few thousand dollars to cover her considerable medical expenses. It was only when McDonalds basically told her to take a flying leap, that she sued for those costs plus other damages.