Now this is the type of riveting reportage I’d like to see more of:
Firefighters pulled three dogs and a guinea pig from a Davis Islands house fire that was sparked by an unattended pot on a stove Thursday morning, authorities said.[snip]
No one was home, but rescue workers found two Cairn terriers and a West Highland terrier taking cover under furniture. The dogs were removed from the home and firefighters began administering oxygen using a pet mask.
Firefighters also retrieved a Guinea pig who was alert, unharmed and eating vegetables in its cage.
Yeah, a guinea pig would continue munching carrots until the flames were licking around the food bowl. And it probably dispensed a steady stream of pellets during the entire ordeal. Glad the beasties were saved. Open thread.