I’m as caught up in the primary stuff as anyone—maybe too much. I keep thinking about the perhaps apocryphal story that Mozart never once mentioned a little thing called The French Revolution in any of his letters. The guy was a bit focused on his work, I guess, and that’s looking pretty good right now.
As a Sandernista, I appreciate Richard’s hard look at Bernie’s health care plan, and Betty’s wise suggestion that both candidates rein in their more obnoxious proxies. At the very least, I’m sure we can all agree that, now more than ever, it’s GREAT not to be a Republican!
Anyhoo, I’ll be posting something politicky soon that I’m sure many of you will enjoy eviscerating. In the meantime, perhaps as a break from the all the politicking, how about some News From the Faunasphere?
- FBI now tracking animal abuse like it tracks homicides and other serious crimes. Not just for the animals’ sake, but because “research has backed up that animal abuse can be a precursor to future violent crimes.”
- A lovely piece in The New York Times on a rehab center where traumatized vets and parrots help each other heal.
- Bad news for grandma, and so effed up. States use so-called “ag-gag laws” to criminalize free speech, free assembly, and whistleblowing. They’ve primarily targeted animal activists who document animal abuse and other malfeasances at factory farms and slaughterhouses. However, North Carolina’s new version adds “nursing homes, day care centers, and veterans’ facilities” to the list of protected enterprises.
- Courageous pilot who was tracking elephant poachers in Tanzania died after his helicopter was shot down by one. Roger Gower was only 37. So sad.
- The very first cultured-meat meatball has been produced and—surprise!—tastes like a meatball. Video: https://youtu.be/Y027yLT2QY0 Mosa Meat founder says cultured meats will be on supermarket shelves within three years. (Note: cultured meat isn’t cruelty-free since it originates with non-cultured meat and requires animal-derived nutrients for growth. But it will still relieve a lot of suffering.)
- Sea Shepherd is buying a new boat and it’s big (and cool).
- The New York Times ponders which pronoun to use for a non-human.
- Kids from Guatemala being trafficked to work on egg farms.
- If you can’t beat ’em… After a year of feckless anticompetitive shenanigans against vegan upstart Just Mayo, Unilever (maker of Hellmann’s/Best Foods) just announced that it will sell its own brand of vegan mayo. And last, but way not least:
- It’s here!!! Ben & Jerry just (today) announced its long-awaited vegan ice creamfrozen dessert line.
Thoughts on any of the above, Juicers? Got any other fauna-related news?