I did my required, annual insider threat training today. One bit of information stood out far more this year than it is ever had before.
- Reportable indicators of recruitment include, but are not limited to:
- Unreported request for critical assets1 outside official channels
- Unreported or frequent foreign travel
- Suspicious foreign contacts
- Contact with an individual who is known to be, or is suspected of being, associated with foreign intelligence, security, or terrorism
- Unreported offer of financial assistance, gifts, or favors by a foreign national or stranger: Beware of those bearing gifts
1 “Critical assets” are assets essential to an organization’s mission or to national security that, if exploited, could result in serious harm. They include: classified information; proprietary information; intellectual property; trade secrets; personnel security.
So remember: if you see something, say something!