I have seen a few comments here at BJ in the past few days that attempt to explain what it really means when we say that a vaccine provides 80% or 95% protection. And they are all different!
So, all you smart people and scientists and others who actually understand this – take your best shot at explaining this to the rest of us in the comments. (Everybody else, feel free to ask any questions you might have.)
Here are some of the questions/interpretations I have seen:
Does 95% protection mean that 5% of the people get no protection at all from the vaccine, and that the other 95% are good?
Does Moderna being 95% effective against the virus mean that 5 out of every 100 vaccinated people who are exposed to COVID will get it?
I’m pretty sure that both of those are untrue.
And since the variants seem to be more deadly and more contagious, how does that impact the 80% and 95% numbers which were the result of testing before the variants started showing up?
I have also read, regarding the 95% protection number, that it’s 95% for most people who get vaccinated, but that the number is actually 80% for people who are 65 and over. I have no idea whether that’s true, or not.
While I wait to see if anyone comments on this thread, I am going to attempt to make chicken pot pie for the first time. Though I am going to use my leftover turkey (which I froze after “the smallest turkey breast you have” turned out to be humongous). Wish me luck.
Update: This thread ended up with so much great information that I have included a link to it in the sidebar, near the other vaccination-related information at the top. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed.