I wound up getting up far earlier than expected because I just woke up and couldn’t fall back asleep, so tonight’s update will be brief.
The video of President Zelenskyy’s address is below. The English transcript is after the jump (emphasis mine):
For 177 days already, the report on the events in Ukraine is important for the entire continent.
Ukrainian diplomats, our partners, representatives of the UN and the IAEA are working out the specific details of the mission to be sent to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant. With this mission, the restoration of full security at the ZNPP and in Enerhodar can begin. And I am grateful to everyone who joined this work and initiative.
If Russian blackmail with radiation continues, this summer may go down in the history of various European countries as one of the most tragic of all time. Because not a single instruction at any nuclear power plant in the world envisages a procedure in case a terrorist state turns a nuclear power plant into a target.
Of course, today it is worth paying attention to another aspect of Russian blackmail in the field of energy. Gas supplies to Germany via the first Nord Stream are again being restricted and absurd statements are being made again that it is allegedly possible to compensate for something via Nord Stream 2. These “streams” are needed by Russia exclusively to supply problems to Europe, not to help someone there with gas. Now it is absolutely obvious.
The longer the terrorist state remains on the European and world energy market, the longer it will not be stable. And the sooner everyone in Europe prepares their energy systems to exist without any supply of energy carriers from Russia, the sooner they will be able to calmly go through any winter.
Today there was a very important visit to Ukraine by Eurocities representatives led by the mayor of Florence. This Association unites the mayors of more than 150 European cities, as well as representatives of dozens of other partner cities.
We will cooperate with them directly – Ukrainian cities and communities with European cities and communities.
The key issue is, of course, the rebuilding of our cities. The relevant memorandum was signed today. But not only this will be the subject of our important cooperation.
The modern development of any country is primarily the development of cities, the creation of new opportunities and institutions in cities, the exchange of experience between cities and urban institutions. And therefore, these are new jobs, greater social capital and higher level of security for people.
On the Ukrainian side, the subject of relations with the Association of European Cities will be our Congress of Local and Regional Authorities. I want to assure that every city of our state will benefit from this. We are interested in sustainable development throughout the territory of Ukraine – and it will be so. Without any exceptions.
And today I want to address separately the residents of all our cities of Ukraine, which are subjected to constant brutal shelling by Russia. Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, all the cities of Donbas, the Dnipropetrovsk region, the Zaporizhzhia region… All those who experience this constant horror of the destruction of life and the destruction of everything that gives life normality. We will not leave any of these strikes unanswered. We will establish the identity of every occupier who gives orders and executes these strikes at cities. And we will bring them all to justice in one way or another. No murderer will hide.
And we will certainly restore everything that the terrorists try to leave in ruins. The word “ruins” will never be a word about Ukraine, will never be a word about our cities. Russia will definitely not succeed in this.
Eternal glory to all who bring our victory closer!
Eternal glory to all who fight for our beautiful, strong Ukraine, for our people!
Glory to Ukraine!
Here is former NAVDEVGRU Squadron Leader Chuck Pfarrer’s assessment, including geospatial analysis, of the situation at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant:
ZAPORIZHZHIA NUCLEAR PLANT /1130 UTC / 19 AUG/ Russian forces are interfering with staff manning. Smuggled video reveals RU troops have staged military vehicles and munitions inside plant facilities. https://t.co/ZhxVAH2CU2 pic.twitter.com/EFPEOhx55I
— Chuck Pfarrer (@ChuckPfarrer) August 19, 2022
And here is his updated assessment and map for today regarding the battle for Kherson:
KHERSON AXIS /1430 UTC 19 AUG / The UKR offensive in the south is being skillfully laid. Local Partisans and UKR SOF continue to call in precision strikes against RU ammo depots and critical infrastructure: these actions isolate and logistically stress RU forces in Kherson. pic.twitter.com/KVt8gOSvrB
— Chuck Pfarrer (@ChuckPfarrer) August 19, 2022
Here is the Ukrainian MOD’s operational update for today:
The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 19, 2022
Glory to Ukraine! The one hundred seventy seventh (177) day of the heroic resistance of the Ukrainian people to a russian military invasion continues.
There are no changes on the Volyn, Polissya and Siversky directions. The enemy shelled the village of Pavlivka, Sumy oblast, with artillery.
In the Kharkiv direction, the enemy fired tanks, barrel and jet artillery in the areas of Kharkiv, Chuhuiv, Zolochiv, Protopopivka, Sosnivka, Korobochkyne, Shestakove, Milova, Duvanka, Husarivka and Prudyanka settlements.
Strikes from planes and helicopters near Yavirske, Stary Saltiv, Lebyazhe and Zalyman.
In the Slovyansk direction, he carried out fire damage from artillery of various types in the areas near Dibrivny, Dovhenky, Virnopilla, Sulyhivka, Chepil, Mazanivka, and Bohorodychne.
The enemy tried to conduct assault operations in the directions Barabashivka – Karnaukhivka, Sulyhivka – Dibrivne, Sulyhivka – Nova Dmytrivka.
In the Kramatorsk direction, shelling was recorded near Siversk, Rozdolivka, Hryhorivka, Sydorove, and Pryshyb.
In the Bakhmut direction, the impact of fire from tanks, barrel and jet artillery was noted in the areas of the settlements of Bakhmut, Soledar, Berestove, Vesele, Zaitseve, Yakovlivka, Kodema, Spirne, Ivano-Daryivka, Bilohorivka and Zalizne. The occupiers struck with attack aircraft in the Soledar area.
The enemy waged offensive battles in the direction of Spirne – Vyimka, Strapivka – Soledar, Volodymyrivka – Soledar, Klynove – Bakhmut, Vershyna – Kodema. The enemy’s units did not succeed in the indicated areas and retreated.
Battles continue in the direction Pokrovske – Bakhmutske.
In the Avdiyivka direction, artillery shelling was recorded near Avdiyivka, Maryinka, Krasnohorivka, Pisky, Opytne, Pervomaiske, Nevelske, Novobakhmutivka, and Netaylove. The enemy launched airstrikes near Maryinka, Novomykhailivka, and Pavlivka.
Conducts assault operations in the direction of Lozove – Pervomaiske, hostilities continue.
In the Novopavlivskyi direction, the areas of Pavlivka, Volodymyrivka, Velyka Novosilka, Vuhledar, Novomykhailivka, Prechistivka and Zolota Nyva settlements were affected by fire.
In the Zaporizhzhia direction, the enemy used tanks and artillery near Shevchenko, Charivne, Preobrazhenka, Zaliznychne, Hulyaipole, Novosilka, Stepove, Vremivka, and Dorozhnyaky.
In the South Buh direction, the enemy continued shelling our positions from tanks, barrel and rocket artillery along the battle line. He carried out an airstrike in the area of Mykolaivske settlement.
In the Black Sea and Sea of Azov, there are three Kalibr sea-based cruise missile carriers on combat duty.
We believe in the Armed Forces! Together we will win! Glory to Ukraine!
We believe in the Armed Forces of Ukraine! Together we will win!
Glory to Ukraine!
Here is the British Ministry of Defense’s assessment for today:
They did not post an updated map today.
NBC is reporting that pro-Ukrainian saboteurs – read that as Ukrainian partisans – are responsible for the recent attacks on Russian military targets in Russian occupied Crimea:
DNIPRO, Ukraine — Pro-Ukrainian saboteurs were involved in the recent spate of explosions at Russian military sites in Crimea, a Ukrainian government official told NBC News.
The series of blasts hit military depots and airbases in the annexed peninsula over the past week, hinting at a growing ability by Ukraine’s military or its backers to strike deep behind enemy lines, a development that could shift the dynamics of the war.
Kyiv has stopped short of publicly claiming responsibility for the explosions.The government official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to disclose information about the Crimea strikes to journalists.
Experts have speculated that guerrilla fighters, known colloquially as “partisans,” may have played a role, given the nature of the blasts.
The official declined to say whether the Ukrainian military or special forces were also involved in the attacks. But he added, “Only thanks to the people who oppose Putin in the occupied territories and in Russia today, resistance is possible.”
More at the link!
ITV News reporter Emma Burrows reported by Twitter thread on a not for attribution briefing by a western intelligence official regarding recent events in Ukraine:
NEW: Western intelligence official: 'The real story is about (Russia's) Black Sea Fleet. They've lost their flagship Moskva, they lost Snake Island, they lost half of their naval aviation package and their military headquarters was struck.'
— Emma Burrows (@EJ_Burrows) August 19, 2022
- NEW: Western intelligence official: ‘What we are seeing now is (Russia’s) Black Sea Fleet taking a very defensive position, trying to avoid getting in the line of fire. This is a proud fleet with a long history. The credibility of that entity has been diminished.’
- NEW: Western intelligence official on recent explosions in Russia/Crimea/Russian-occupied territory ‘I think we can assume attacks by Ukrainians behind enemy lines.’ Targets such as Belgorod (in Russia) ‘are legitimate targets which don’t risk Russian territorial integrity.’
- NEW: Western intelligence official: ‘I don’t see [explosions/attacks behind Russian lines] diminishing. I think we’ve seen an uptick of those events.’ Western intelligence official puts attacks by Ukraine down to a ‘combination of incredibly brave people and new capabilities.’
- NEW: Western intelligence official suggests Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is being used by Russia & Ukraine in a battle for the ‘information environment.’ Says infrastructure there is built to ‘cope with a civilian airliner flying into it…direct fire is not our concern.’
- NEW: Western intelligence official says ‘The issue we are concerned about [at Zaporizhzhia power plant] is the water cooling of nuclear reactors. If the grid power supply is disrupted, it pushes them to back up generators. If they fail…we are in a more serious situation.’
- NEW: Western intelligence official says right now ‘there are diesel generators & a workforce [at Zaporizhzhia] to mitigate risk.’ Says ZPP provides 20% of Ukraine’s electricity. ‘This is hybrid warfare…If this were connected to Crimean grid it would be a sign of Russification’
- NEW: Western intelligence official says Russians are starting to ‘run out of ammunition.’ ‘We have a large range of evidence to suggest munitions are being depleted…inc munitions coming out of deep storage.’
- NEW: Western official says falling Russian munition stocks ‘ultimately will start to impair Russia’s ability to launch offensives.’ Says Russia has merged BTGS & is having a ‘terrible time trying to reconstitute its forces…this is not a good way to improve combat effectiveness’
- NEW: Western intelligence official says war in Ukraine is now in ‘different stage.’ Conflict is not at the ‘high point’ when there was constant shelling in Donbas. This is ‘partly because both sides have become more conscious that this is a marathon, not a sprint.’
- NEW: Western intelligence official says will be important to see if a vote on incorporating Russian-occupied Kherson region of Ukraine will be held on 11th Sept at same time as Russian regional elections. ‘Even if it is absorbed into Russia, the Ukrainians will still attack them’
- NEW: Looking further ahead, a western intelligence official told reporters, ‘resupplying & rebuilding forces is going to be an essential part of what takes place over winter’ in Ukraine. Key also to see if Ukraine continues to achieve a ‘kinetic effect’ behind Russian lines.’
- NEW: a western intelligence official said Ukrainian attacks behind Russian lines are having ‘a significant psychological effect on the Russian leadership.’ They also said, at the moment, the war in Ukraine is at a ‘moment of near operational standstill.’
- The western intelligence official said that attacks like these by Ukraine represent an ‘astute economy of effort’ & show Ukrainian special forces have ‘ability to operate from behind Russian lines,’ as well as ‘projecting from a distance.’
- The western official said Russian attacks on Ukraine are continuing: Kharkiv is now suffering ‘one of its most painful periods of the war.’ While Ukraine may not yet be able to retake ground, this assessment indicates that the west believes things are going badly for Russia.
I know that the second part of that WaPo series was published today. The bottom line is that Russian intelligence appeared to be high on its own supply regarding Ukraine and Ukrainians. I’ll deal with it tomorrow.
That’s enough for tonight.
Your daily Patron!
The French government said that they are ready to help in demining and reconstruction of the Chernihiv region. Meanwhile, I: Bon, no, boooon jour. Rrrr (trying to fix my French pronouncing). pic.twitter.com/3wbRJjRH14
— Patron (@PatronDsns) August 16, 2022
There is something weird with the embed code for the official Patron TikTok posted today. I tried the code for yesterday’s and it embeds without any problem. So if you want to see today’s official Patron TikTok video, click here!