The most recent numbers from the Bush campaign note that Bush has collected over $110 million for the next campaign season, which prompted Oliver to ask:
Can you think of more patriotic uses for the $110 million in political donations George Bush has amassed so far?
– Unemployment benefits for the 2.5 million plus who have lost jobs since he was sworn in
– Funding schools for the children of veterans, which he cut?
– Paying for health care for disabled veterans he sent into war in Iraq?
– Cover for the medigap coverage he cut for seniors?
According to OpenSecrets, when the last reports were filed (which lag behind the $110 million report), Bush had raised $84,583,768, while the Democratic candidates combined had raised $98,556,587. Again, attempts to portray the Democrats as poor, or unable to compete with the President finanacially are just a ruse (and a rather transparent one). Their problem is they simply have neither a coherent message nor a viable candidate behind which the party has congregated. Bush’s main fault seems to be a loyal base.
The question I want to ask is, can you think of more patriotic uses of the $98 million (which, again, is probably much larger now) the Democrats have raised. And let’s not even bother mentioning all of their interest groups, George Soros, or MoveOn. Here are some suggestions from me:
– Finding Dennis Kucinich a real date.
– Shipping Carol Moseley-Braun somewhere without microphones.
– Jailing Al Sharpton again in Vieques, but this time for crimes against humanity and decency.
– Sitting Wesley Clark down and forcing him to give a straight answer about how he would have voted on Iraq.
– Anger management lessons for Howard Dean.
– Give Dick Gephardt a cushy job somewhere and allow him to take a vacation. Poor man has worked his ass off for this country for thirty years (I disagreed with him a lot throughout the years), and it seems like the Democrats respect him less than Republicans.
At any rate, yes, George Bush has outraised all of his opponents. Just ike Clinton did. Just like the incumbent after George Bush will. The point is that the Democrats are not hurting for money, and every time they try these shenanigans, it is just laughable.