In case you want to know what a rational school re-opening plan looks like, here’s the one Cuomo announced today.
- The region must be in Phase 4 of re-opening (right now, NYC is 3, the rest of the state is 4).
- The 14 day rolling average of positive tests must be below 5%. (Currently, every region is under 2% on the rolling average, most closer to 1%)
- If the regional positive rate is over 9% using a 7 day rolling average, schools will close.
- Specifics are up to the school districts, but the State Departments of Health and Education are publishing guidelines that were developed through collaboration between teachers, administrators and health professionals.
- Guidelines include recommendation for distancing, prioritizing in-person education for kids who need it most, and universal masking, with regular mask breaks.
- Guidelines recommend using cohorts, screening for temperature and symptoms daily, and the availability of contact tracing.
The key point about all of this is the screencap above – if the virus is out of control, nothing else matters. Also, a few minutes of Cuomo banging on Trump is classic Cuomo.
“Nobody died in the Watergate scandal.” I like the framing as a “scandal,” because it is.
Also, he announced that every out-of-state traveler from 18 states where the virus is out of control who arrives at an airport will have to fill out a form detailing where they’re from and where they’re going. If they don’t provide that information they can be be fined $2,000, issued a summons, and subject to mandatory quarantine. (These people are already subject to 14 day quarantine.)
This is what not fucking around looks like.