Hi Juicers! Traveling this week and next, so Faunasphere is light (and, I guess, late). Please post your fauna-related thoughts and news in the comments, and please remember that sharing any of these links can help save lives. – Hillary
- “Dog whisperer” Cesar Millan being investigated for animal cruelty after using a pig to bait a dog with known aggression issues. The annotated video at the link is a pretty devastating indictment of his whole “pack leader” approach.
- Boston joins more than 120 other municipalities and bans puppy-mill and other commercially-bred animals in pet stores.
- Yippee! President Obama guarantees all military working dogs retirement on U.S. soil.
- Hopefully will lead to rise in adoptions: FIV+ and FIV- cats can live together without harm to the latter.
- Opposition builds to annual Texas rattlesnake roundup.
- Fantastic three-minute animation on true costs (subsidies, health, environmental) of meat consumption.
- Eggs may be the cruelest food, as you can tell by the fact that Germany is working to end the shredding alive of newborn male chicks. (More on the cruelties of egg production here and here’s a really interesting list of egg substitutes.)
- Seaworld releases a bizarrely upbeat propaganda video announcing the impending death of Tilikum, its kidnapped and imprisoned orca who has notoriously killed three people. Of course, no mention in the vid of those he killed, at least one of whom, as documented in the movie Blackfish, Seaworld blamed for her own death. By the way, captive orcas live around a quarter of their natural lifespans. (And Blackfish streams on Netflix.)
And, in breaking news…